Join 706 other subscribers
Top Posts & Pages
- First drafts: allowing the worm to navigate the soils of your mind
- The boy whose butter I ate: writing from the inside out
- All a writer can ask
- Throwing away material without a sense of failure
- Playful child and iron teacher: the two halves of the writer
- What happens when a character’s skirt gets hitched in her knickers?
- It’s an anxious job, pulling out of the comfort zone
- Write of things you love
- Try to get ahead too fast and you might end up with your trousers round your ankles
what I've seen recently
No Instagram images were found.
Older posts for the really keen
- I've been going over old stories and essays I wrote a few years ago. Am finding the editing process SO much easier… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- I've found patience once of the hardest things to cultivate, I have to admit. This is such an inspiring piece on wh… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
Tag Archives: Writers Resources
What’s the one word that describes how you feel?
Nobody says anything at first. I look at the faces around the room – fifteen, sixteen year olds who are expecting to stand in front of an audience in a few days and read some of their writing. I wait. … Continue reading
Don’t let fear keep you tied up
My trip is over. It’s hard to return from travelling, shifting from spontaneous movement back into a more fixed routine. But it’s a treat to know how much I’ve been missed. Thank you followers for all your wonderful messages! … Continue reading
Posted in Memoir, Travel Tagged Adventure, Alice Munro, Brazil, Canada, Creative writing, Gabriela Blandy, how to write, Lake Huron, life, Memoir, New York, Photography, Travel, Workshops, Writers Resources, Writing process 49 Comments
First drafts: allowing the worm to navigate the soils of your mind
I decided to go on a retreat a few years ago. When people asked me why, I tried to explain, but always got a sense I’d left something out; I circled back to the beginning, tried again. Words followed words, … Continue reading
Posted in Essay, Memoir Tagged A writer, Be, Become, Belief, essay, fear, Fiction, Gabriela, Gabriela Blandy, Good PRose, Hilary Mantel, Honest, honesty, How to, Memoir, Novel, Process, Short Stories, short story, Talent, True, Truthful, What is, Write, Writer's block, Writers Resources, Writing 63 Comments
Does anyone else feel guilty when they see a police car?
When I was seven, I told my mother I wanted a willy. It looked so much easier for my brother. On family walks, having to squat down in the grass, I would often pee all over myself, or down the back … Continue reading
Posted in Essay, Memoir Tagged comfort, denial, forgiveness, Gabriela Blandy, how to write, Memoir, memories, pain barrier, shame, Writer's block, Writers Resources, Writing, Writing process 18 Comments