Join 706 other subscribers
Top Posts & Pages
- First drafts: allowing the worm to navigate the soils of your mind
- The boy whose butter I ate: writing from the inside out
- All a writer can ask
- Throwing away material without a sense of failure
- Playful child and iron teacher: the two halves of the writer
- What happens when a character’s skirt gets hitched in her knickers?
- It’s an anxious job, pulling out of the comfort zone
- Write of things you love
- Try to get ahead too fast and you might end up with your trousers round your ankles
what I've seen recently
No Instagram images were found.
Older posts for the really keen
- I've been going over old stories and essays I wrote a few years ago. Am finding the editing process SO much easier… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- I've found patience once of the hardest things to cultivate, I have to admit. This is such an inspiring piece on wh… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
Tag Archives: How to
What’s the problem with being up a mountain with no phone signal or orienteering skills?
It has begun to rain. The wind comes in cycles – building, building – so that at its peak my body wobbles and I contemplate the steepness below me: images of tumbling headfirst down lumps and bumps, through sharp grass. … Continue reading
Posted in Essay, Memoir, Travel Tagged Adventure, advice, fear, Feeling, Gabriela, Gabriela Blandy, Health, How to, Laurence Sterne, Memoir, North Wales, Thought, travelling, truth, Wales, Writing, writing advice, Writing process 31 Comments
Shouldn’t I be able to use all my published books as furniture by now?
I have recently been on a hunt for Alice Munro. When I reached the Canadian border the other week, a lady in the passport control booth asked me where I was heading. Goderich, I told her, grinning ludicrously about … Continue reading
Posted in Essay, Memoir, Travel Tagged Alice Munro, Gabriela, Gabriela Blandy, How to, Natalie Goldberg, sense of a journey, short story, Writing 43 Comments
First drafts: allowing the worm to navigate the soils of your mind
I decided to go on a retreat a few years ago. When people asked me why, I tried to explain, but always got a sense I’d left something out; I circled back to the beginning, tried again. Words followed words, … Continue reading
Posted in Essay, Memoir Tagged A writer, Be, Become, Belief, essay, fear, Fiction, Gabriela, Gabriela Blandy, Good PRose, Hilary Mantel, Honest, honesty, How to, Memoir, Novel, Process, Short Stories, short story, Talent, True, Truthful, What is, Write, Writer's block, Writers Resources, Writing 63 Comments